The Western Region is located in the south-western part of Ghana and shares boundaries with Central, Ashanti and Brong Ahafo region. To the West it shares a border with the republic of Cote D’Ivoire. The region has 192 Km of tropical beaches on the Atlantic Ocean and a tropical climate characterized by moderate temperatures all year round. It has a large twin city as its capital which is Sekondi-Takoradi. Takoradi, a harbor city is fast becoming a cruise Ship stopover. It has some of the most untouched expanses of tropical forests and most of Ghana’s plantations are to be found in this region e.g. rubber, coconut, citrus, oil palm, teak etc. The twin-city: Sekondi-Takoradi together form the third largest urban in Ghanaians is the regional capital and the gateway to the west coast.
There are several good hotels you can stay in whilst in the Western Region. The main dishes of this Region include “akyeke” with Avocado pear, fufu and light soup with mushroom or snails.
The native people of the Western Region are mostly Akan’s, speaking various dialects including: Ahanta, Nzema, Sefwi, Wassa, Brosa, and Pepesa. Principal religions are Christianity, African Aminism, and Islam. The best tourist site are as follows: Fort St Appolonia at Bevin, Fort Cross at Dixcove, Fort Batensteyn at Butri, Fort Groot Fredericksburg at Princess Town, Fort Santo Antonio at Axim, Fort Dorothea at Akwida, and Fort Sebastian at Shame, Akatekyi Crocodile, and the Village on stilt of Nzulezu. The most visited among this tourist site are the Akatekyi Crocodile pond, The Village on Stilt of Nzulezu and Fort Groot Frederiksberg.
AKATEKYI CROCODILE POND.
Akatekyi Crocodile Pond 30km west of Takoradi, the local fetish priest entices the crocodiles from the water with a live chicken. Visitors are advice to bring a bottle of schnapps for the performance of libation. Visitors are welcome every day except Wednesday; it believes that it is a sacred day.
VILLAGE ON THE STILT OF NZULEZU
The Village on Stilt of Nzulezu an amazing village where life goes on in the center of lake Tadane, just 90km west of Takoradi. The houses are built on stilts, and traditional village life adapts to the watery conditions. The lake’s edge and a trip in a dugout canoe to the village. The village welcomes visitor’s every day except Thursday, which is a sacred day. The Wetland is a habitat for a variety of animals like monkeys, crocodiles, marine turtles and fishes. Nzulezu also represents an outstanding interplay between man and the environment.
FORT SANTO ANTONIO
It was a fort built by the Portuguese in 1515 near the town of Axim, in what is now Ghana. In 1642, the Dutch captured the fort and subsequently made it part of the Dutch Gold Coast. The Dutch expanded the fort considerably before they turned it over, with the rest of their colony, to the British in 1872.
FORT GROOT FREDRICKSBERG
The history of the Brandenburg fort, Fort Gross Fredericksburg, still reverberates in the Caribbean, via the John Canoe festivals. On Manfro Hill, in Princes town, in the Western Region of Ghana, the Brandenburg Africa Company, led by Benjamin Rule, under the patronage of the Frederick William of Brandenburg, built the luxurious Fort Gross Fredericksburg as their headquarters, between 1683 and 1684, desiring also ‘a place in the sun’ and the riches of the Gold Coast. It is the only fort in Ghana with Germanic authors.
A farmyard lookalike, the fort had 32 cannons upon completion; and only a strong defence would have been a sufficient deterrent to assaults from the Dutch and British, who resented further foreign intrusion into the area. This was especially so because as few Brandenburg ships arrived on the coast, the fort traded with merchants from all nations, becoming the hub for smugglers along the coast.
In conclusion one can say that The Western part of Ghana is endowed with many tourist sites and exploring it could be more adventurous.